Bacon wrapped Prawns
Bacon Wrapped Prawns – Travel Tales
The one reason I love to travel is of course, the food. Well, when you look at me, you would probably go… “REALLY?”, but trust me it is. This time round, on our yearly visit to Kerala, we decided to explore the backwaters of Kumaragam, on a fabulous stay at a houseboat.
Now, I’ve never really been on a houseboat before, so this was a first for me. But oh man! I enjoyed it like no other holiday! The ambience, the food, the crew and of course the company, made it what it was, a holiday par excellence.
Let me just cut to the chase and tell you about the highlight of the trip; fresh prawns (the jumbo ones), right from the backwaters, straight into the pan, and onto our plates! The dinner was magical. The fresh succulent prawns obviously the star of the dinner, totally made up for a few mosquito bites! The prawns were coated in a very basic masala of salt, chilli, turmeric and lime juice, and deep fried. A perfect appetizer to go with a tall glass of gin and tonic.
While on appetizers and prawns, a perfect appetizer for any kind of a drinking party is, lo and behold, bacon wrapped prawns! Yep, love them, eat them, and never ignore them! The prawns at Kumaragam, just inspired me to share with you guys the recipe for my bacon wrapped prawns. Mind you, I have held this recipe close to my heart and NEVER shared it with anybody, until now. So, you can imagine how happy this trip made me, that I am actually sharing a recipe so secretly guarded.
So here goes the recipe for my vehemently guarded, bacon wrapped prawns.
Fresh Jumbo Prawns – 15 nos (de shelled and de veined)
Bacon Strips – 15 nos
Paprika – 4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
Lime Juice – 1 tbsp
Honey – 2 tbsp
Cream – 1 tbsp
Olive oil – 2 tsp
Wooden Skewers – 15 nos
Toothpicks – to secure the bacon
- Marinate the prawns with half the paprika, salt and pepper and set aside for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the remaining paprika, salt, pepper, lime juice, cream, olive oil and honey and whisk well together until a cohesive sauce is formed.
- After 20 minutes, skewer each prawn on a skewer, wrap each prawn with a slice of bacon and secure the bacon with a toothpick. Brush liberally with the sauce. When I say liberally, I mean really liberally!
- Set aside for 20 more minutes, while you preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
- After 20 minutes, place the prepped prawns on butter paper, on to an oven tray, and bake for 1o minutes or until the top of the bacon sizzles.
- After 10 minutes, turn it and repeat the process for another 7 minutes. Done!
- Serve with a dip of your choice and of course the drink of your choice!
- Skewers are important to make sure the prawns stay in the right shape.
- You can reduce the leftover marinade with a little bit of soy sauce and orange juice and make a dip.
- Make sure you take the toothpicks out before you serve! Drinking, is not suck a lover of toothpicks!
- Make sure you adjust the salt content, because the bacon is salty.
There we go! The secret recipe is finally out, all thanks to a wonderful holiday! Make it, share it (not necessarily) the food I mean and well always thank me in the comments!